Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mythology Book Hunting

So, today, within all the things I should have known about my life finally clicking into place, I finally realized I needed more than my Google Fu (as Fire Lyte would say) to do my Oh Gods! segment any justice. So, I went looking for a good mythology book.

Having possessed the infamous Edith Montgomery Mythology since high school, I knew I needed more than a book on Greek myths. I drove my car to my beloved B&N and had to have help finding the mythology section, and I use the term "section" as loosely as possible. It was probably only three shelves big, and chockful of Greco-Roman mythology books. The spoiled child in my head was pitching a fit, "I already know all this stuff!!!" There were at least one book for Norse and Japanese mythology each, but they were nearly $20 each (by the way, when the hell did it become usual for a book that's the size of an $8 romance novel to cost $17?). I'm a cashier at a fabric store, and as much of a book enthusiast that I am, I don't have $20 to drop on every non-fiction that catches my fancy.

After about 10 minutes of combing through each book, I finally spotted the book I needed: The Oxford Companion to World Mythology by David Leeming. I've only read a few articles out of it, and I love it. I'll still employ my Google Fu, but now I have a hard copy multi-pantheon deity directory!

On other notes, I'm going to try VERY hard not to let too much of my personal identity crisis that I'm going through get into the podcast. Of course, at times its going to be relevant, but I'm not going to make every episode about "my journey to self-discovery." So, essentially what I'm saying is that I'm not going to bore y'all with the whole journey, just the magickal pit stops along the way.

Now, that you have been thoroughly reassured, I need to let you in on a few new developments in the blog and podcast. If you haven't already noticed, I am incapable of posting when I say I'm going to, so from this point on, I post when I post. No more deadlines or scheduling (although, I'm still gonna have episode 3 out by Mardi Gras).

Well, folks, that's all for now from my neck of the woods (or bayou, sort of).

Always,

VII

No comments:

Post a Comment